About the Academy
"To foster excellence in surgical
The Academy of Surgical Educators (ASE) aims to foster and
promote the pursuit of excellence in surgical education. The
Academy's focus is on supporting, enhancing and recognising
surgical educators within the College. This will be facilitated
through identifying the changing needs of the faculty and
addressing those needs through the professional development
The Academy will oversight the curricular development related to
generic education needs of surgeon-teachers, trainers,
supervisors, assessors, and examiners - across the Boards, Court of
Examiners, Professional Development and the Surgical Societies. The
Academy will respect the syllabus content of the education in
surgery delivered by the Training Boards and Specialist Societies.
The Academy will support the education delivery and faculty
development for these groups as appropriate.
It will continue to be the driving force behind the ASC Surgical
Education Program and Educational Master Class programs at the
Annual Scientific Congress, as well as research in the field of
surgical education. Collaborations with other Colleges and
Universities both domestically and abroad will be explored.
The aim of the Academy of Surgical Educators (ASE) is:
- Foster and promote the pursuit of excellence in surgical
- Advice on the strategic direction needed to develop and sustain
a strong culture of professional development in surgical
- Explore partnerships with external organisations and
universities that have the educational expertise to deliver
professional development activities in surgical education.
- Advise on new and existing internal professional development
activities for surgeons in order to enhance the development and
delivery of surgical education.
- Advise on and conduct research into surgical education which
will assist in the improvement and sustainability of the College
and Specialty Society/Association surgical education and
professional development activities.
- Develop the ASC Surgical Education and educational Master Class
- Explore opportunities for collaborative research in surgical
education with universities.
- Explore the development and recognition of professional
pathways for surgical educators.
The ASE provides a range of initiatives to support its members
- An effective community of practice
- An outstanding webinar series
- An exclusive website with high quality resources
- A range of online and face-to-face learning opportunities
focusing on surgical education
- Tertiary graduate and Masters programs in surgical
- An Education Stream at the Annual Scientific Congress
- Collaborative events with other national and international
organisations, e.g. Tripartite meetings
- An awards program to recognise the achievements of our Surgical
We invite you to apply for Academy
Membership. Membership is open to Fellows, Trainees and
non-surgeons who have a keen interest in to surgical education.
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
College of Surgeons' Gardens
250-290 Spring Street
East Melbourne VIC 3002 Australia
Telephone: +61 3 9249 1212
Fax: +61 3 9276 7412