29 May 2015
RACS encourages the Victorian Government to give consideration
to the following policy areas as a means to reduce the harmful
impacts of family violence:
- Conduct ongoing public education campaigns on family violence
that are community driven and culturally sensitive.
- Implement community-led and comprehensive alcohol controls in
communities where a need has been identified and agreed.
- Support programs that help to identify and support family
violence victims, including training programs that improve the
confidence and competency of health professionals to identify and
care for people experiencing family violence.
- Invest in research to expand the evidence base about which
interventions are effective in different contexts, and how they can
- Improve data collection by:
a. Adding a flag for family/domestic
violence related deaths to the National Coronial Information
b. Bolstering efforts by health
professionals to screen for family violence.
c. Supporting integrated care and
collaboration between healthcare agencies.